You cannot be made happy by someone telling you to be happy unless what they are telling is what makes you happy.
And in contradiction to those who are wiser than I am, happiness is not a state of mine nor is it a choice. We cannot simply think ourselves happy although we may trick or deceive our minds from time.
Happiness is not an absolute conclusion or event whereby it is the same for everyone. What makes one person happy may make another person miserable.
I believe that happiness is wrapped up in the nature or soul of a person’s spirit. I think that happiness may have its beginnings in the following scenarios which may reveal the character of a person spirit:
- A person is happy because they are in their ideal setting and have sufficiency in the things that their heart desires.
- Happiness maybe the voluntary surrender of one’s desires, hope and dreams for the cause and benefit of a person or cause that is valued above one’s self and one’s personally fulfillment.
- Happiness maybe rooted in one’s totally commitment to one’s self or one’s vocation and/or gifts.
- Happiness maybe rooted and grounded in one’s financial and material wealth and social status.
- Happiness could be the result of how others see you and how you see yourself relative to others.
- Happiness could be the result of wanting for yourself what God wants for you.
- Happiness maybe when one pleases YHVH.
Of course unhappiness would be the negative and opposite of the 7 things stated above.
This is just my take on things.
God is truth and He doesn’t change but happiness changes from person to person. Happiness is different things to different people for different reasons. Therefore, “happiness cannot be the truth” as one song writer erroneously states.
What does happiness mean to you?
Copyright © Othealor W. Prince 2016
All Rights Reserved
TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!!